Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Critique 1: Horizon Lines

Horizon Lines was a performance art by Claire Stephens at the Galena Creek Park. The performance is focused around the idea of lines utilizes instruments including the clarinet, guitar, xylophone, and violin. There were also short breaks between each piece with poems that were written and read aloud by different artists throughout the performance. The performance was very relaxing and unpredictable with half of it being played as written and the other half being improvised. Instead of using a gallery space or room, Claire used a location outdoors and within nature to fully experience the horizon lines beyond the trees at the Galena Creek Park.
 Before even starting the performance there was a path that we had to follow that was lit up with lights leading up to the site. It was a very cold but relaxing walk. The path was a little uneven, curvy, and steep and the sounds of twigs cracking as I stepped them and the rustling of the trees as I was walking up felt almost as if it was part of the piece. The thought of horizon lines made me think about the randomness and unpredictable sounds like those I experienced during my walk up to the performance site. The title itself made me think of standing somewhere high up and looking towards the horizon and listening to the sounds surrounding me as I watch. Claire performance did what I had imagined. Her use of location where we were surrounded by trees felt as if we can experience what the looking into the horizon would sound like. Not only does it set the mood for the performance, the sounds from nature also added to the sounds of the instruments playing the songs. The way that it was also dark out side helped us focus more of our attention to what we are hearing rather than seeing as well.
The idea of lines made me think about the silhouette of the mountains. As the performers played I closed my lines and imagined myself following the lines of the mountains as if they were like the lines to a song. The unpredictable nature of the songs they played made it  easy for me to not think about how it should go but instead made me go with the flow and let it be. The way they played the songs and improvised as some parts was very intriguing because it gave the musicians control over the listeners to create a sort of image in our heads.
The breaks between the songs were poems that were written and read aloud by other artists. This was very interesting because it added to the nature of lines. I thought it was a smart idea to include different artists reading their poems about lines than just a performance of songs. It helped break away from it being a concert to a performance art piece. The different poems read by the different artists helped glorify the idea of lines which helped us appreciate lines more than just a line itself. It also defined lines as something more than just a line such as the lines of words across a page or the lines that follow the horizon.
In the end, the Horizon Lines by Claire Stephens was a great piece of work and something to experience. Lines were always something that we thought of as seeing but Claire did a great job in showing that line can be more than just a line draw between to points on a piece of paper. Lines can also be heard and played just like how we were listening to the performance. It was a wonderful piece and I enjoyed every second of it and it left me thinking about what more a line can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment